School Gardens FAQs
Click on the headings below to view the frequently asked questions:
Who is building the development?
School Gardens is being built by Bromford.
Who are Bromford?
Bromford is a social enterprise that’s been around for over 50 years. We’re also a housing developer that delivers around 600 new homes a year. We have a long history of providing new homes across central England and currently manage over 28,000 homes.
It’s great that we are all living longer and healthier lives, and we want to meet the specific needs and demand for specialist housing for older people. Our in-house construction team will build all our developments and our experienced housing team will manage them once they are built. So your relationship with us is guaranteed to be long term.
What will the apartments be like at the development?
School Gardens will have 60 self-contained apartments, three of which will be located in the old School House.
Key features in all the properties will include:
- Emergency call system line linked to a staff member 24 hours a day, every day, including Christmas
- Easy access kitchen with fitted hob and oven
- Easy access modern shower rooms
- Central heating and full double glazing
- Extra wide doorways to enable mobility for wheelchair users
- A traditional style front door with personal letterbox
- Spacious entrance hallway
- Low surface temperature radiators
- Electric power sockets set at convenient height
- Emergency lighting in the apartment hallway in case of a power cut
Will there be any other facilities on site?
School Gardens will have a range of facilities which will include:-
- Craft/Activities room
- Wellbeing room
- Landscaped gardens
- Fitness Gym
- Hairdressing /Beauty salon
- Spa Bathroom
Will there be any parking?
School Gardens will have a communal car park.
Will there be any garages?
No, there will be no garages.
Can I bring my pet?
Yes, your pet would be welcome, provided that they are well-behaved and you are able to manage your pet’s requirements. You will need to make full arrangements to have your pet cared for if you are unwell or away.
Will there be any care and support available?
Yes care and support will be available, as and when you need it. Care services can be tailored to your own individual needs and can be delivered in the comfort and privacy of your own home.
What security do you have in place?
Access to School Gardens will be permitted through a secure double door which can only be opened by residents or staff. Residential areas will also be controlled by residents and staff, through secure doors.
Residents will have their own apartment key fob. This will allow residents personal access to their property and access to the secure residential areas within the building.
There will be closed circuit television cameras around School Gardens, monitored by staff. There will be a member of staff on site 365 days per year.
Will I be able to afford to move into School Gardens?
There will be a range of tenure options to suit your financial circumstances, whether renting or purchasing.
You may be eligible to receive benefits to support you with the cost of moving to School Gardens and we have a specialist Money Advisor available to help you to explore any benefits you may be entitled to.
Would I have to pay council tax?
Yes, you will have to pay council tax. The council will allocate the council tax charge for each property. You may be eligible to receive Council Tax Benefit towards meeting these costs.
Are there any other costs associated with living at School Gardens?
Yes. Once you have bought or rented your property you will be required to pay a weekly Community Charge and annual ground rent.
What is the Community Charge?
All residents will need to pay a weekly Community Charge which includes staff time managing the scheme and the following costs:
- Service Charge.
- Fire alarms, fire equipment, CCTV, cleaning of communal areas, rubbish disposal, pest control, wifi in the communal areas, communal heating and lighting, external window cleaning, emergency lighting and Staff call service.
- Maintenance Charge.
- Day to day maintenance of the communal areas, gardening and landscaping, repairs to the heating and lighting in your apartment, insuring the building, lift, door entry system and staff time for organising these services.
- Wellbeing Charge.
- Costs associated with providing 24/7 on-site presence to respond to emergency situations and the arrangement of social events for everyone at School Gardens.
- Utility Charge.
- All heat, light and power to each property. All water related services associated with each property.
Please Note: Residents may be eligible to claim benefits to support their housing costs.
- Service Charge.
When I come to sell my apartment – will it have increased in value?
Although we cannot guarantee that the market price will have increased when you come to sell your home, what we do know is that over the last ten years our existing retirement living apartments continue to create a lot of interest, sell easily and have increased in value.
Could my family and friends stay with me in my apartment? How long could they stay?
Yes, your family and friends of all age groups would be welcome to visit you and stay in your property. There is no fixed length of stay, although guests could not remain indefinitely, or move into your apartment.
Will there be a guest suite for friends and family to stay in?
Yes, there will be a guest suite and visitors will be welcome to use them. Charges will be set at an affordable cost.
What is the eligibility criteria for moving into School Gardens?
The properties in School Gardens will be available to people who are aged 55 and over - there is no upper age limit.
There may be some exceptions to this rule subject to agreement by the Allocations Panel.
The anticipated date for customers moving in is currently forecast to be around April 2018 but is subject to the ongoing construction programme.
Applications for reservations are now open. Please complete our contact form below to stay up to date with all the latest information about School Gardens.